Four Parishes First Response Group

Serving the community










Fund Raising



About Us



What is a First Responder



Contact Us






Call out figures


















Heartstart Essex








this page has links (in Blue ) to NHS help areas


1. how to call for help

2.Colds and Flu

3.Accidents and First Aid


Getting help in an emergency


999 has been the emergency services number in the UK for many years but you can now also call 112 to get help.

112 is the single emergency telephone number for the European Union. European citizens in distress situations can call the phone number 112 and get through to the emergency services wherever they are.

Many accidents happen when travelling abroad so it is worth remembering that calling 112 can get you the emergency assistance you need when in the UK or Europe.




  other Advice




Colds and flu affect 15 million people each year in the UK. Often people make unnecessary trips to their GP, or call for an Ambulance, when they should be resting at home. However, flu can be a serious condition for some people, so it’s important to get advice if you have flu like symptoms.

The advice given is suitable for adults and children aged 5 years and over. If your enquiry is for a child under the age of 5,

call NHS Direct on 0845 4647.


if you are an adult and have symptoms like cold or Flu

please try this online checker

answer all questions fully


FLU CHECKER   <-------------------HERE





Every year in the UK, thousands of people die or are seriously injured in accidents.

Many of these deaths could have been prevented if First Aid was given at the scene before the emergency services arrive.

What to do

See Accidents and first aid - first aid guide 

for information on how to deal with common accidents and emergencies,

such as choking, poisoning and bleeding.


For detailed information on how to deal with burns and scalds,

see Health A-Z: treating burns and scalds 


If someone is injured in an accident:

  • first check that you and the casualty are not in any danger and,
  • if so, make the situation safe
  • when safe, assess the casualty and dial 999 or 112 for an ambulance (if necessary)
  • carry out basic first aid

For more information, see Accidents and first aid - what to do after an accident

If they are unconscious and breathing...

If a person is unconscious but is breathing and has no other life-threatening conditions, they should be placed in the recovery position.

If they are unconscious and not breathing...

If a person is not breathing normally after an accident or Incident you should,

call for an ambulance 

and then

 if you are able to, start CPR (mouth-to-mouth resuscitation) straight away